Friday, January 31, 2014

Deer and Doe: Plantain

This is my entry to the Deer and Doe Plantain Challenge.  I am so excited about this pattern.  I need some new t-shirts and I had just bought a bunch of fabric from Girl Charlee but I didn’t have a pattern.  This one came out just in time, and it’s free!  Merci, Deer and Doe.



I actually made one other version of the shirt first to get the fit just right.  I found that I needed to shift the shoulders slightly to the front—this is a typical change for me, but I didn’t need to adjust the neckline at all (I love the neckline, I think it’s so flattering).

For the dress, I was inspired by the dress below by Boden.  When I saw this dress in their catalogue I fell in love with it and actually bought this fabric to make the dress.  For the dress I kept the neckline the same but shortened the sleeves to elbow length.  I marked the waist and drafted an a-line skirt for the back.  For the front I marked the waist and then marked 2 inches above the waist for about 6 inches in the middle and drafted a soft angle to match the two.   On the front skirt I did the same thing but opposite and added 12 inches in the middle for the gathers.  On the inside I used interfacing strips on the front bodice waistline to strengthen the seam.   I hope that makes sense!
I don't know why it didn't rotate when I uploaded it, but I was in too much of a hurry to fix it.
Elena, the best photobomber in town.
I’m so excited about the dress (I already wore it to work once this week), that I feel like I already won. Thanks for stopping by.  I can’t wait to see what everyone else made.





5 comments:

  1. I really love the shape you got. I am going to have to sit down with pen and paper and reread your instructions and see if I can make my own. Also, I think we might have the same boots - LLBean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will try to take some pictures of the pattern pieces. The boots--Lucky Brand.

      Delete
  2. My only problem is the photography and the cropping that cuts off your beautiful FACE! But otherwise, LOVELY work, you look fabulous and so does the dress. :) Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love this...it is an amazing dress..and you look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I didn't realize he was cutting off my head, but I don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete