Saturday, January 25, 2014

Deer and Doe: Datura

I'm busily working away at my entry to Deer and Doe's Plantain contest so I thought it was high time to show you the tops I've already made using this company's other patterns.  First up is my version of the Datura Blouse.


Before I get into the specifics on this top (of interest to the sewers out there), I have a funny story about this one.  Last September I was finishing up program at work which involved two or three speeches, a graduation and other stuff, on top of my regular workload.  I was working late into the evenings at the time and cut back on sewing quite a bit, but I had it in my head that I had to finish this top for the graduation events.  Somehow I did it.  So, despite the work, and the accomplishment of finishing the program, the highlight of my day was when I received a compliment on my top from the woman in the program with an amazing sense of style (wore Anthropologie almost daily).


So, back to the top itself. This was the first pattern from the company that caught my eye.  It was actually the cut outs on the neckline, even though I still have not made that version.  Instead I made the top last Fall using this lovely Ikat print on voile.  The front yoke is a dyed silk organza I picked up on a whim at G Street awhile back.  I ended up doubling the organza because the color didn't show up quite right with just one layer.  

I had to do quite a bit of altering on this pattern to get the front to fit just right--I started with tissue fitting and then made a muslim before I jumped into the fashion fabric.  I'm so glad I did because it really fits nicely now.  I don't think the fit issues have anything to do with the pattern though, they are my own body issues. 


I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of my modeling the top.  I'm working my way up to posting pictures of myself modeling my clothes but I don't want to wait to post them any more, so this will have to do for now.  I have one coming up, don't worry.  And any suggestions for getting the courage to post pictures of yourself modeling from other bloggers out there would be greatly appreciated!

I really love this top and have worn in a lot, sleeveless and with a cardigan.  I think this pattern company has done a lovely job so far (at least based on the three I've made).  And, even though the patterns ship from France, the shipping cost is not any higher than shipping costs from a lot of US companies--so don't let that deter you.


No comments:

Post a Comment