My sister, Libby, and I send boxes of baby/kids clothes back and forth across the country. I think this is to save money, but I’m not really sure it does. Either way, it’s fun to see our girls wearing the same clothes. I love how even with the same clothes on they are each unique.
In one of the last boxes she sent there was an argyle baby sling. Since she and I are fans of the Moby I figured she must have bought this one for the fabric (she loves argyle) or maybe it was a gift, I don’t know. But since it wasn’t being used I asked her if I could cut into it and use it for an outfit for Elena.
I love it! She has gotten so many complements on the outfit too.
The pattern is design 4 in Ottobre 6/2009. And it essentially cost me $0 and 2 hours to make.
The fabric is cotton with a tiny bit of nylon for minimal stretch. It fits just right and is a little hard to get on and off. But I’m glad I made it when I did because I don’t think I had enough fabric for a larger size.
The only change I made to the pattern was to add a ¼ inch seam allowance on the sleeves and armhole. I planned to use sew binding to the inside to finish these edges instead of binding these edges with visible binding like the pattern indicated. But I couldn’t find any fabric in my stash that I thought matched (even though it wouldn’t show) and I was getting tired/lazy, so I just serged the edges, folded them over once and top-stitched them down.
These one-piece coveralls are our favorite things to dress her in at this age, so I definitely plan to make her more, in the next size of course. The next one will probably be in jegging fabric, something with a little more stretch will make diaper changes easier since it doesn't have snaps.
I have to say, I’m pretty pleased with how I matched the pattern.
Stay tuned, I have a big reveal this weekend!