Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christmas Crafts: Lucia's Backpack

I've been wanting to make Lucia a backpack for a long time.  Christmas was the perfect occasion.

The fabric, Ukulele by Heather Ross, is perfect, both for the bag and for Lucia.  One of her favorite things is playing the guitar with her dad.  So awhile back he bought her a real, nice ukulele.  I thought it was a little much for a two year old, but she has not only learned how to strum, she has also learned respect for the instrument (most of the time) and tune it (haha).



Back to the bag.  The pattern is the toddler backpack by Made by Rae using the backpack instructions from the Oliver + S Little Things to Sew book.   I bought the pattern before she added the lining instructions, so with the new pattern that should be all you need.




This was definitely the most rewarding sewing I've done recently.  The look on her face when she opened the gift was priceless.  And the first words out of her mouth... "my fabric"... even more priceless.



3 comments:

  1. This IS Priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job! i really love your backpack. did you find the fabric was sturdy enough or did you use interfacing? just curious as i'm about to make one for my son and i'm trying to decide on the fabric. i'm wanting to use cotton/linen but not knowing if it will hold up. any thoughts? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,
    thanks for your comment. I honestly can't remember. My guess is that I did use interfacing, but at the same time I didn't want it to get too bulky, so I might not have. I am tempted to open it up a bit to check (I'm planning to make a few more), but I haven't decided if I'll do that. If I do, I will let you know. Either way, the bag is holding up great.

    ReplyDelete