Sunday, June 8, 2014

How the Crane Got Its Crown


First, a little about the dress itself.  It is, of course, the Geranium dress from Made by Rae.  I fell in love with this dress and this fabric when she made it here.  So, when I came across the fabric at Momen+ over Christmas, I had to buy some.  Then, just before Easter, I whipped it up for a little girl who had grown out of all her summer dresses.  I made size 6 because that is what she is wearing in RTW but it was a little long.   Even though she said she liked it long, I decided it needed to be shortened for summer, I needed to take off a good four inches.


So, this weekend, I finally got around to shortening it.   But instead of chopping off the length and adding a new hem, I made two one-inch pleats around the bottom.  In this print it is hard to see it, but I like the effect a lot.  It adds a little volume and detail.




One of the cranes also got a crown, in homage to one of our favorite books, “How the Crane Got its Crown.”  It’s a Ugandan book retelling the legend of how a draught had come to the African Plains and Lion gathers the animals together to find a solution.  First he sends Cheeta for his speed, but he is unsuccessful.  Then he sends Elephant but he also returns unsuccessful.  Finally, as a last ditch effort he sends Crane to find water.  Crane also comes back without any success, but then has an idea.  He gathers all of the cranes together and they go out again and fly out to the clouds where they use their wings to push the clouds out over the parched land and then poke them so it rains.  As a reward for their good work, the Crane is given a golden crown.



The End.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love it!! You are so brilliant!! Love the crane with his crown!

    ReplyDelete