Monday, July 1, 2013

Sister Love and a Family Quilt

These pictures must be about a year old.  


I remember that day well.  I was on maternity leave with the baby with Lucia still going to day care most days.  But I think this was the week after Juan's parents left, Juan had a business trip, and Lucia was too sick to go to daycare.  I was home by myself.


I have to admit that I was a bit of a wreck for some, or maybe a lot, of that week.  But by the third day, I kept Lucia home because we started having fun.  We found each other's rhythm that week.


And we did things that would be fun for all of us.


We went to the zoo.  And we had a picnic at the playground.


We bonded.  


Sister love.

***
The quilt is made completely from Laura Gunn prints from her first two lines.  I find I'm often drawn to fabrics that represent paintings.  Laura Gunn is a beautiful painter and I really love that I get to use her art to make my own.

The pattern is from another of my favorite artists, Malka Dubrawsky's first book, Color Your Cloth.  I bought the book to learn her dying techniques, but that is another hobby I can only dream about right now.

It's the biggest quilt I've made and it lives in our living room.  It's the family quilt that I hoped it would be.  It's been a picnic blanket, a fort, and a warm blanket to snuggle under on movie night.

No comments:

Post a Comment